The Girouard Village Site
Recent research by Bill Gerrior of Halifax indicates that Jacques (dit Jacob) Girouard and Marguerite Gaudet settled this land on the upper Annapolis River in the third quarter of the 17th century. By the mid-18th century, three distinct Girouard family hamlets dotted the upland fronting La Ferme Marsh. The Deportation events of autumn 1755 saw these villages abandoned, only to be re-occupied with the establishment of Annapolis Township by New England colonists in June 1760. While reactivating some elements of the pre-Deportation Acadian landscape - most notably the dykelands - the new settlers adapted the land to their own purposes, gradually erasing evidence of the Acadian occupation.
Tupperville is located 16 km east of Annapolis Royal, on the south side of the Annapolis River. The general area of the site is visible from Highway 201. Eighteenth century maps, traditional knowledge, surface features, and botanical evidence combine to suggest that this is the site of the Girouard village.
Bill Gerrior's extensive genealogical research, culminating in 2003 with the publication of a four-volume history of the Gerrior family entitled Acadian Awakenings, has been the catalyst for this project. Marcel Gelinas, a student at the Centre of Geographical Sciences at Lawrencetown, Annapolis County, under the direction of geomatics instructor Ron Robichaud, plotted traditionally known archaeological features in the spring of 2002. Northeast Archaeological Research plans to begin a program of archaeological testing in spring 2003.